A former founder member of The Chieftains and Ceoltóirí Chualann, Sean Potts’ distinctive whistle playing has been a feature of the traditional music scene since the 1950s. Now in his 80th year and despite a lengthy and prolific recording career, this is the first time he has produced a solo work and Number Six is a celebration of Seán’s enduring love for music and musicians.
Seán is joined on this recording on guitar and piano by John Blake whose wonderfully enriching accompaniment underpins Séan’s incomparable whistle style. Also featuring on Number Six are renowned fiddle player Paddy Glackin, Peadar Ó Riada on organ and Seán’s son, Seán Óg Potts, on pipes.
The proceeds from the sale of this CD have been donated to Na Píobairí Uilleann for the preservation and promotion of the music and manufacture of the uilleann pipes.
1. Cailleach an Airgid, Garrett Barry’s jigs 2:22
2. The Ashplant, Five Mile Chase reels 1:35
3. An Bonnán Buí air 2:40
4. The Pretty Girls of Mayo, Sporting Nell reels 1:58
5. Geaftaí Bhaile Buí air 2:12
6. Jackson’s, Moloney’s reels 2:59
7. Eibhlí Gheal Chiúin Ní Chearbhaill air 2:32
8. Cois an Ghaorthaidh air 1:44
9. Páidín Ó Raifeartaigh, Strike the Gay Harp jigs 3:19
10. Aisling Gheal air 2:31
11. Cooley’s, The Copperplate reels 2:38
12. Old Man Dillon, The Lark on the Strand jigs 2:38
13. Mo Mhúirnín Bán air 3:10
14. The Tap Room, The Liffey Banks reels 3:16
15. The Wexford Hornpipe, Byrne’s hornpipes 2:54
16. Caoineadh an Spailpín air 2:58
17. Jenny Picking Cockles, The West Wind reels 3:42
18. Seolaim Araon na Géanna Romhainn air 2:43
19. The Boy on the Hilltop, Dan Breen’s reels 1:39
20. An Chéad Mháirt de’n Fhómhar air 2:40