Chris Newman - guitars, bass, mandolins, bouzouki and keyboards Máire Ní Chathasaigh - Irish harp Nollaig Casey - violins Maggie Boyle - flute Roy Whyke - drums
The story behind the album.....
In December 2012 we were wondering what to do about Christmas cards as the cost of postage in the UK had recently increased by an enormous amount. We had the bright idea of sending a musical Christmas greeting, instead of a physical card, to everyone on our database so spent the evening of December 13th in the studio recording an extremely light-hearted version of Ding Dong Merrily on High. The following day we emailed a hyperlink to everyone we knew, and by December 26th, when we removed the track from the website, it had been downloaded over 6000 times. We received lots of comments along the lines of "When's the rest of the album coming out?"
Well, this is it, and we hope you enjoy it!
1) The Holly and the Ivy 3:09
2) Three Ships from Sussex 3:14
3) God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen 3:01
4) Campana Sobre Campana (Bells upon Bells) 3:25
5) O Come all ye Faithful 2:32
6) Past Three O’Clock 2:33
7) O Little Town of Bethlehem 3:28
8) The Coventry Carol 3:39
9) Away in a Manger 3:38
10) Il est né le Divin Enfant 3:07
11) We Three Kings 3:25
12) Once in Royal David’s City 2:32
13) Do'n Oíche Úd i mBeithil (To That Night in Bethlehem) 2:50
14) The First Tree in the Greenwood 3:08
15) Infant Holy, Infant Lowly 3:20
16) Ding Dong Merrily on High 3:35