RECEIVE 10% OFF YOUR FIRST ORDER WHEN YOU SIGN UP TO OUR EMAIL LIST
This section doesn’t currently include any content. Add content to this section using the sidebar.
Add description and links to your promotion
Image caption appears here
Add your deal, information or promotional text
The band was founded in 1946 by Paddy Canny, fellow fiddler P.J. Hayes, pianist Teresa Tubridy, and accordion player Joe Cooley at Minogue's Bar in Tulla, County Clare, Ireland. They were formed in order to compete at the Limerick Fleadh Cheoil. Their initial repertoire came very much from local sources, along with Galway tunes from Joe Cooley.
The band won first prize at Féile Luimní the following year and made their debut radio performance broadcast in 1948. In the following decade, they competed in the All Ireland competitions, initiating a rivalry with the Kilfenora Céilí Band, which won the competition in 1954 and 1955. In 1956, Tulla tied Kilfenora for first place in the Munster competition but lost by a half point in the All Ireland. Tulla won first place the following year, however, and won again in 1960. The band toured Britain and the United States in 1958, delivering a memorable performance at Carnegie Hall in New York on St. Patrick's Day.
In 2008, An Post issued a stamp featuring the band.
1. The Sailor On the Rock / Last Night's Fun / The Abbey Reel
2. Tell Her I Am / Gallagher's Frolics
3. O'Dwyer's Reel / The Graf Spee
4. The Blackberry Blossom / Devanney's Goat
5. Lough Gowna / The Gander At the Pratie Hole / The Pipe On the Hob
6. Dumphy's Hornpipe / Tuamgraney Castle
7. The Teetotaler
8. The Leitrim Jig / The Orphan Fiddle Duet
9. George Whyte's Favourite / The Ash Plant / The Merry Harriers / Tear the Calico
10. The House in the Glen / The Bohola Jig
11. Scotch Mary / The Galway Rambler
12. Chief O'Neil's Favourite / Kitty's Wedding
13. Johnny Allen's Reel / Sporting Nell / Toss the Feathers
14. Crags of the Burren
15. The Killavil Fancy
16. The Humours of Tulla
Be the first to know about new releases, exclusive offers and special discounts.